"Balance, beauty, drama, and strength are the poetic elements I find in Nordquist's bronzes. Nordquist is one of the few living Sculptors that can accomplish this perfection found in nature."
- Robert Vavra Author/Photographer of Equus
Flying across the ivory sands of Egypt on a magnificent Arabian stallion with the Pyramids of Giza silhouetted against the radiant glow of dawn--the excitement of the Moroccan Fantasia at the royal stables as a guest of King Hassan II--the beautiful Fountains of Rome and classic sculptures of Michelangelo in the Vatican--that is what Dreams are made of!
Inspired by these memories, her imagination, and a life-long appreciation for the beauty of Arabians around the world, Judy Nordquist captures the character of her subjects in the timelessness of bronze. From graceful miniature foals to the powerful monumental life-size bronze "Wind Spirit", her sculptures transcend simple anatomical likeness to evoke the spirit of the Arabian horse. Expressing a love and passion for this magnificent creature, Judy's breathtaking bronze sculptures enrich municipal, private, corporate and fine art collections around the world.
Judy finishing the Life-Size Portrait of Zoumir, an Arabian race
horse and jockey for Sultan Qaboos bin Said, Sultanate of Oman
Judy finishing the Life-Size Portrait of Zoumir, an Arabian race horse and jockey for Sultan Qaboos bin Said, Sultanate of Oman From early childhood and throughout her life, Judy has nurtured two loves: horses and art. After studying art in high school and college, she spent several successful years in the commercial art field before focusing her complete attention on painting horses. Painting evolved into sculpting, which has proven to be the most exciting and challenging medium for her unique talent. Judy's daughter Kim, after graduating with honors in psychology, has followed in her Mother's footsteps. Kim designs beautiful equine jewelry and now works alongside Judy to create bronze sculptures.
Their latest pieces were recently unveiled in January 2009: a life-size portrait of Escape Ibn Navarrone-D for Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Ajman Stud, UAE and another life-size portrait, this time of Zoumir, an Arabian race horse and jockey, for Sultan Qaboos bin Said, Sultanate of Oman. Judy and Kim create art pieces collected and commissioned by an international clientele of horse enthusiasts.
Commissioned work is not simply the product of anatomical examination and reproduction in bronze. Capturing the spirit of an animal as captivating and charismatic as the Arabian horse requires an intense study of each individual animal. In addition to detailed measurement and photography, Judy spends time with her subject. She reminds clients, "By seeing your horse with my hands, I can capture their unique spirit and presence and make the bronze come alive." Connecting with the spirit of each horse is part of what makes the process so special and integral to the point at which the artistry of sculpture and the craft of bronze casting unite. Judy discusses posing, attitude and expression with each client, ensuring their satisfaction and the success of the project.
1/5 Life-size Portrait Bronze of Maggdalina unveiled 2009 at the
Scottsdale Show Commissioned by Strawberry Banks Farm
Judy and Kim have traveled extensively in Egypt, Africa, Italy and the Middle East researching Middle Eastern history and culture. Their Collectors Limited Bronze Sculptures reflect the classic style of the 19th century French school of sculpture, "Les Animaliers", and range in size from miniature to life-size. Judy and her husband Jim, live in the mountains of Ridgway, Colorado where they raise and care for their own Arabian horses, including an extraordinary treasure, a beautiful *Marwan Al Shaqab daughter out of the multi-champion mare Maggdalina!
To add to her already extensive resume, Judy produced the magnificent trophies for the 3rd annual Arabian Breeder's World Cup, this April in Las Vegas. This was not only a chance to make a distinct artistic contribution to the event, but an opportunity to make a special impression on the international Arabian horse community. Her pieces are both grand and elegant, the perfect prize for one of the industry's most unique and prominent events.
The Arabian horse lifestyle has always blended many elements of the world culture. Judy Nordquist offers the industry a rare artistic gift, capturing the heart and character of her equine subjects in bronze.
SELECTED BUSINESS AND PRIVATE PATRONS:
- His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said, Sultanate of Oman
- Lt. Colonel A. Razak Alshahwarzi – Oman Royal Cavalry - Oman
- Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Ajman Stud, UAE
- Howell and Margo Wallace –Valor Arabians
- HH Sheikh Mashal bin Hamad Al-Thani - Emir of the State of Qatar
- Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nayhan - United Arab Emirates
- Harold and Liz Green –Evergreen Arabians Greg Gallun – Gallun Farms
- His Excellency Sulymam Demirel, President. - The Republic of Turkey
- Margit and Gosta Heitmann - Calbar Arabians, Denmark
- Omar Sakr, Sakr Arabians - Egypt
- Robert and Dixie North – North Arabians
- HRH Prince Sultan bin Salman Bin Adulaziz Al'Saud - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Michael Byatt – Michael Byatt Arabians
- Senor Alirio Miguel Cornejo - Mexico City, Mexico
- Mr. Erhard Eckschmidt - Bad Oeynhausen, Germany
- David Boggs – Midwest Arabians
- His Majesty Hassan II - King of Morocco
- Mr. and Mrs. Essam Khashoggi - Santa Barbara, California
- Senor Pedro Salas and Princess Tchkotoua - Mallorca, Spain
- Dr. and Mrs. Johan Van Wyk - Johannesburg, South Africa
- Count Federico Zichy-Thyssen - Ascuncion, Paraguay, South America
- Uri and Michal Ariely, Ariely Arabians – Israel
PUBLIC AND PRIVATE ART COMMISSIONS:
- 2015 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait bronze of Wieza Mocy - Oak Ridge Arabians
- 2015 - Bronze of Mounted band-45 horses and riders - HM, Sultan Qaboos bin Said, Oman
- 2012 - Bronze of 40 horses with carriage for H M, Sultan Qaboos bin Said, Sultanate of Oman
- 2010 - Life-Size Commissioned Bronze of Stallion of the Sun - Middle East
- 2009 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait bronze of Maggdalina for Strawberry Banks Farm
- 2008 - Life-Size Portrait bronze of Escape Ibn Navarrone-D for Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Ajman Stud, UAE
- 2008 - Life-Size Portrait bronze for His Majesty, Sultan Qaboos bin Said, Sultanate of Oman
- 2007 - Life-Size bronze of King of Kings for Pomeroy Arabians International - Canada
- 2007 - Life-Size bronzes of Interlude for Pomeroy Arabians International - Canada
- 2007 - 1/5 Life Size Portrait Bronze of Escape Ibn Navarrone-D for Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Ajman Stud, UAE
- 2007 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait bronze of Bella Nova for Traditional Arabians
- 2007 - 1/6 Life-Size portrait bronze of Khemosabi for Khemosabi Syndicate
- 2006 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bust of Enzo for Enzo Ltd.
- 2006 - 1/5 Life-size Portrait Busts – Al Shaqab Collection: *Gazal Al Shaqab, *Marwan Al Shaqab, *Al Adeed Al Shaqab for Michael Byatt Arabians
- 2005 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of *Marwan Al Shaqab for Al Shaqab Stud & Michael Byatt
- 2005 - 1/4 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Gai Acaisha & her filly for Harold and Elizabeth Green
- 2003 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Padrons Psyche for Robert and Dixie North
- 2002 - 1/4 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Llewellyn Fawr for Harold and Elizabeth Green
- 2000 - 1/4 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Sx Allon for Harold and Elizabeth Green
- 1999 - 1-1/5 Life-Size Monumental “Wind Spirit” Ute Indian and horse for the Town of Mountain Village, Telluride, CO
- 1997 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Ericca for Neil and Barbara Chur
- 1996 - Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo - Annual trophies for the Championship Classes
- 1994 - 1/4 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Gai Anastashah for Harold and Elizabeth Green
- 1994 - Exclusive Collector’s Limited Edition Bronze Medallion for The Big Oak Children’s Ranch in Alabama for non-profit fund raising project
- 1989 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Royal Taaga with buggy and portrait of Dick Ames
- 1988 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Shahteyna for Cory Soltau
- 1988 - Pyramid Society Logo in Hand Cast Paper
- 1985 - Life-Size Mare and Foal--Daughters of the Wind for Essam Khashoggi, Santa Barbara,CA
- 1985 - 1/3 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of *Ibn Moniet El Nefous for Jarrell McCracken
Click HERE to see a list of her accomplishments.
To see the full Article by Tutto Arabi click HERE.
Click HERE to View Judy and Kims Biography