Judy and Kim with the Life-size clay sculpture of Escape Ibn Navarrone-D Commissioned by Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Ajman Stud, UAE
Flying across the ivory sands of Egypt on a magnificent Arabian stallion with the Pyramids of Giza silhouetted against the radiant glow of dawn--the excitement of the Moroccan Fantasia at the royal stables as a guest of King Hassan II--the beautiful Fountains of Rome and classic sculptures of Michelangelo in the Vatican--that is what Dreams are made of!
Inspired by these memories, her imagination, and a life-long appreciation for the beauty of Arabians around the world, Judy Nordquist captures the character of her subjects in the timelessness of bronze. From graceful miniature foals to the powerful monumental life-size bronze "Wind Spirit", her sculptures transcend simple anatomical likeness to evoke the spirit of the Arabian horse. Expressing a love and passion for this magnificent creature, Judy's breathtaking bronze sculptures enrich municipal, private, corporate and fine art collections around the world.
From early childhood and throughout her life, Judy has nurtured two loves: horses and art. After studying art in high school and college, she spent several successful years in the commercial art field before focusing her complete attention on painting horses. Painting evolved into sculpting, which has proven to be the most exciting and challenging medium for her unique talent. Judy's daughter Kim, after graduating with honors in psychology, has followed in her Mother's footsteps. Kim designs beautiful equine jewelry and now works alongside Judy to create bronze sculptures.
"Balance, beauty, drama, and strength are the poetic elements I find in Nordquist's bronzes. Nordquist is one of the few living Sculptors that can accomplish this perfection found in nature."
- Robert Vavra Author/Photographer of Equus
Their latest pieces were recently unveiled in January 2009: a life-size portrait of Escape Ibn Navarrone-D for Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Ajman Stud, UAE and another life-size portrait, this time of Zoumir, an Arabian race horse and jockey, for Sultan Qaboos bin Said, Sultanate of Oman. Judy and Kim create art pieces collected and commissioned by an international clientele of horse enthusiasts.
Judy finishing the Life-Size Portrait of Zoumir, an Arabian race horse and jockey for Sultan Qaboos bin Said, Sultanate of Oman
Commissioned work is not simply the product of anatomical examination and reproduction in bronze. Capturing the spirit of an animal as captivating and charismatic as the Arabian horse requires an intense study of each individual animal. In addition to detailed measurement and photography, Judy spends time with her subject. She reminds clients, "By seeing your horse with my hands, I can capture their unique spirit and presence and make the bronze come alive." Connecting with the spirit of each horse is part of what makes the process so special and integral to the point at which the artistry of sculpture and the craft of bronze casting unite. Judy discusses posing, attitude and expression with each client, ensuring their satisfaction and the success of the project.
1/5 Life-size Portrait Bronze of Maggdalina unveiled 2009 at the Scottsdale Show Commissioned by Strawberry Banks Farm
"I want to thank you for creating 'Pharaoh's Horse'. No matter how troubled the world news is, or how tired or low my spirits may be, I know I can gaze upon that magnificent steed and see the world as it should be - free, intelligent, proud, virile and radiating a love of life in his every fibre and movement. You couldn't have created that by accident. But you did express it, with skill and eloquence. And you touched my soul. Thank you."
- Mr. Saul Fox, Architectural Designer, Ontario, Canada
Judy and Kim have traveled extensively in Egypt, Africa, Italy and the Middle East researching Middle Eastern history and culture. Their Collectors Limited Bronze Sculptures reflect the classic style of the 19th century French school of sculpture, "Les Animaliers", and range in size from miniature to life-size. Judy and her husband Jim, live in the mountains of Ridgway, Colorado where they raise and care for their own Arabian horses, including an extraordinary treasure, a beautiful *Marwan Al Shaqab daughter out of the multi-champion mare Maggdalina!
Judy, I must tell you that if I had the talent to sculpt this piece with my own hands it could not have been any better nor any closer to the image I conceived almost two years ago. I get so much pride and joy from showing the `Daughters Of The Wind' Life-Size bronze to all of our visitors that I felt I had to share it with you. I only wish you could be here each time someone sees it for the first time. They're usually speechless, always impressed, and seemingly mesmerized by the bronze and its setting."
- Layla Khashoggi
To add to her already extensive resume, Judy produced the magnificent trophies for the 3rd annual Arabian Breeder's World Cup, this April in Las Vegas. This was not only a chance to make a distinct artistic contribution to the event, but an opportunity to make a special impression on the international Arabian horse community. Her pieces are both grand and elegant, the perfect prize for one of the industry's most unique and prominent events.
The Arabian horse lifestyle has always blended many elements of the world culture. Judy Nordquist offers the industry a rare artistic gift, capturing the heart and character of her equine subjects in bronze.
Judy with Michael Byatt unveiling
"The Al Shaqab Collection" in May 2006.
Download a Copy of the Tutto Arabi Article
Among her many International business and private patrons are:
- Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi - Ajman Stud, UAE
- His Majesty, Sultan Qaboos bin Said - Sultanate of Oman
- HH Sheikh Mashal bin Hamad Al-Thani - Emir of the State of Qatar
- Abdullah F. Alsweilem - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- H.E. Sheikh Nawaf Bin Nasser Bin Khaled Al-Thani - Qatar
- Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nayhan - United Arab Emirates
- Greg Gallun - Gallun Farms
- Omar Sakr, Sakr Arabians - Egypt
- His Majesty Hassan II - King of Morocco
- Amid Abdelhamid, His Majesty King Hasan II Stud Farm - Morocco
- Mr. and Mrs. Dick Ames - Cedar Ridge Arabians, Jordan, Minnesota
- His Excellency Suleyman Demirel - President, The Republic of Turkey
- Dr. and Mrs. Johan Van Wyk - Johannesburg, South Africa
- Senor Alirio Miguel Cornejo - Mexico City, Mexico
- Margit and Gosta Heitmann Calbar Arabians, Denmark
- Lt. Colonel A. Razak Alshahwarzi - Oman Royal Cavalry - Oman
- HRH Prince Sultan bin Salman bin Adulaziz Al'Saud - Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Harold and Liz Green - Evergreen Arabians
- David Boggs - Midwest Arabians
- Howell and Margo Wallace - Valor Arabians
- Barbie Hoefer -- Traditional Arabians
- Robert and Dixie North – North Arabians
- Mr. and Mrs. Essam Khashoggi -- Santa Barbara, California
- Mrs. Barb Chur - Strawberry Banks Farm
- Mr. Erhard Eckschmidt - Bad Oeynhausen, Germany
- Senor Pedro Salas and Princess, Tchkotoua - Mallorca, Spain
- Count Federico Zichy-Thyssen - Ascuncion, Paraguay, South America
- Michael Byatt – Michael Byatt Arabians
- Uri Ariely, Ariely Arabians - Israel
- 2010 - Life-Size Commissioned Bronze of Stallion of the Sun - Middle East
- 2009 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait bronze of Maggdalina for Strawberry Banks Farm.
- 2008 - Life-Size Portrait bronze of Escape Ibn Navarrone-D for Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Ajman Stud, UAE
- 2008 - Life-Size Portrait bronze for His Majesty, Sultan Qaboos bin Said, Sultanate of Oman
- 2007 - Life-Size bronze of King of Kings for Pomeroy Arabians International
- 2007 - Life-Size bronzes of Interlude for Pomeroy Arabians International
- 2007 - 1/5 Life Size Portrait Bronze of Escape Ibn Navarrone-D for Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Ajman Stud, UAE
- 2007 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait bronze of Bella Nova for Traditional Arabians
- 2007 - 1/6 Life-Size portrait bronze of Khemosabi for Khemosabi
2006 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bust of Enzo for Enzo Ltd.
2006 - 1/5 Life-size Portrait Busts – Al Shaqab Collection: *Gazal Al Shaqab, *Marwan Al Shaqab, * Al Adeed Al Shaqab for Michael Byatt Arabians
2005 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of *Marwan Al Shaqab for Al Shaqab Stud & Michael Byatt
2005 - 1/4 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Gai Acaisha & her filly for Harold and Elizabeth Green
- 2003 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Padrons Psyche for Robert and Dixie North
- 2002 - 1/4 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Llewellyn Fawr for Harold and Elizabeth Green
- 2000 - 1/4 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Sx Allon for Harold and Elizabeth Green
- 1999 - 1-1/5 Life-Size Monumental “Wind Spirit” Ute Indian and horse for the Town of Mountain Village, Telluride, CO
- 1997 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Ericca for Neil and Barbara Chur
- 1996 - Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo - Annual trophies for the Championship Classes
- 1994 - 1/4 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Gai Anastashah for Harold and Elizabeth Green
- 1994 - Exclusive Collector’s Limited Edition Bronze Medallion for The Big Oak Children’s Ranch in Alabama for non-profit fund raising project
- 1989 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Royal Taaga with buggy and portrait of Dick Ames
- 1988 - 1/5 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of Shahteyna for Cory Soltau
1988 - Pyramid Society Logo in Hand Cast Paper
- 1985 Life-Size Mare and Foal for Essam Khashoggi, Santa Barbara, CA
- 1985 - 1/3 Life-Size Portrait Bronze of *Ibn Moniet El Nefous for Jarrell McCracken
- Member American Academy of Equine Art Signature Member of The American Academy of Women Artists
- Signature Member of The American Academy of Women Artists
- Associate - Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club
- Colleague Member - National Sculpture Society
- 1981 - The Bronze Works - One of six outstanding Colorado Sculptors
- 1984 - 5th place North American Sculpture Exhibition
- Sculpture in the Park - Loveland High Plains Arts Council 1984 - 1991
- American Academy of Equine Art 1982 - 1991
- Colorado Governor’s Invitational Art Show 1997
- American Academy of Equine Art, Small Works Exhibition, held at- The International Museum of the Horse 1997
- DIA Inaugural Art Exhibit "The Object of Colorado" 1997
- Western Academy of Women Artist’s Annual Show, held at - Desert Caballeros Western Museum, Wickenburg, AZ 1997
- American Academy of Equine Art, The Horse In Fine Art-National Tour 1997-1998
- Sculpture in the Park - Loveland High Plains Arts Council 1998
- "The Arabian Magazine" UK - December 2010
- "Tutto Arabi" Italy -Summer 2009
- "Arabian Horse World", Dec. ‘78, Judy Nordquist Remarkable Art by Scott E. Dial
- "Telluride Style Magazine", Summer/Fall 2000, Sculptures In Bronze by Diana Conovitz
- "The Equine Image", June/July 2000, Majestic Monumentals by Karen Howell
- "Pacific & Southwest Arabian" Nov. '97, Judy Nordquist - Professional Profile
- "Arabian Faszination" Germany Nov. '97, Judy Nordquist - Professional Profile
- "Arabian Visions" Oct. '90, Judy Nordquist - Cover Artist
- "Equine Images", July '89, Judy Nordquist - Sharing her Passion by Sandy Geier
- "Arabian Horse Times" Oct. '88, Judy Nordquist - Professional Profile
- "Arabian Horse World" Dec. '85, The Little Bronze and How It Grew by Denise P. Hearse
- "Western Horseman", Dec. '84, Equine Sculptor Judy Nordquist by Marty Mokler-Banks
- "Arabian Horse Times", Dec. '83, Judy Nordquist - To Capture Fleeting Moments by Cheryl Tibbetts
- "Arabian Horse World", Dec. '78, Judy Nordquist Remarkable Art by Scott E. Dial